Monday, February 22, 2010

Forks, generators and Flash2Pass

Well, I made it through the weekend. Big snowstorm, so I didn't get down to Backus' house for the suspension project. Matt Wiley at Race Tech is the bomb when it comes to motorcycle suspension. Anyway, the bike is there. Richard started tearing the forks down on his own and I'll join him one night this week to install the emulators and shocks. It will be pretty damn sweet when it's done. So instead I started the process of removing the generator on my 73 Guzzi Eldorado. Oh, here's an article about it. Won't charge and makes a horrible sound. My guess is brushes and bearings. I got the seat and the tank off. I'll pull the generator this week and take it to the local repair shop. Can't work too fast, that ruins all the fun. Old bikes were made for piddling. And spending time in the garage. Nice...

I told you I would mention some of the things that I saw at the 2010 Dealer Expo. So here's the first. The
Flash2Pass Garage Door Opener System. I guess because I'm older now and I like the niceties of life. Put the transmitter in your headlight bucket. It's small, about 2 inches square. Wire it to any hot wire controlled by a switch. They recommend the high beam. Replace your button inside the garage with the Flash2Pass receiver. Voila! Pull into the drive, flash your high beam twice, door opens. No more fumbling for the remote in your pocket. Or getting off the bike, going inside, opening the door and rolling the bike in. Easy. You can buy extra transmitters for multiple bikes. Or your car. Or extra transmitters for multiple homes. If you have that. It has all kinds of encryption and other cool stuff to make it secure. $79.95 for the transmitter, receiver and installation hardware. $34.95 for an extra transmitter. Up to six for a single receiver. If you need that extra receiver for that extra house? You probably don't care about the cost. Check out all their stuff at http://www.f2ptechnologies.com/. Whew! I gotta get me one of these.

Next time, more on the suspension project. Maybe a picture if I'm lucky. Hoping for warmer weather soon. of course, if it's too soon neither of these projects will be done. Then I'll be forced to ride my girlfriend's Buell Blast. Oh yeah, it's a real blast...

No comments:

Post a Comment